Kind of a busy Friday for me. Anyhow, here's some more entertaining stuff.
- A gnu/luser on the whole "GNU"/Linux thing.
While the code for the kernel Linux is distributed as free software under the GPL, the term “Linux” when applied to the whole operating system is often used as a branding tactic by companies to reduce the visibility of the ethical aspect of free software.Uh huh, that's why they do it. It couldn't also be because a) nobody can pronounce it b) it makes a terrible brand name c) nobody cares, could it? Oh, and d) nobody wants to get caught sounding like a total nerd explaining a recursive acronym.
- 25 Reasons to convert to Linux. Because nobody has written the same article spouting all the same reasons before.
- The Big X Window Manager guide. Oh man, I can really just feel my colon overflowing with choice. But wait, you forgot like 100 other window managers!
- Event aims to bring Lindependence to one California town. A couple nice quotes:
We have a moral obligation to help those who do not know there is an easier way to make their computers do what they need them to do.and
What do Starks and Cafiero wish they'd known before they started? One of the hardest lessons they learned is that there is no single Linux community to lean on.No shit, sherlocks.
- A luser laments: "Why is it so hard for Windows users to understand that Linux is not Windows?" Oh let me take a wild guess. It could be because "some people" say that Linux is "better" than Windows.
On second thought, I guess it wouldn't really make too much difference. All my bugs would just get closed as "luser error, go back to using Windows you MS-paid stupid fuck."