Sweetness. Looks like the FreeRunner is finally dead.
I’d just like to take a moment, and lament about all the top notch features we could have had with a truly open source phone like the FreeRunner.
- grep’ing through your address book using extended regular expressions
- finger’ing your Fav Five
- Having 10 different competing UI’s packaged by dozens of different distributions
- Being able to ssh to your phone so that you can check it’s uptime
- Using PGP to sign your SMS messages. Beware though, after the signature, you’ll only have 5 characters left to work with.
- Sending people videos in ogg theora format
- Losing data randomly with ext4
- Unloading the kernel module for the asterisk button because I never use it
- Changing your keypad to dvorak layout, where the most commonly used numbers are in the middle row
- Using gkrellm to monitor your battery power, as it is slowly sucked away by gkrellm
- More efficiently using your tiny screen with a tiling window manager
- Warning users that their keypad lock password is not strong enough
- E17, some day. No, really, someday.